Palazzo Falson, popularly known as the ‘Norman House', was remodelled in the early sixteenth century by the Knights of St. John. Originally it was larger in ground plan, and used to be - like the Palazzo Santa Sofia - a one-storey high house with a courtyard. This courtyard was planned on the model of a Sicilian "cortile" at the beginning of the twentieth century. The house probably had a siqifah leading to the courtyard. Evidence also suggests that the ground floor must have undergone some modifications.
Its facade contains small slit windows and two doorways. The doorway on the left was probably the entrance to a stable, and was totally modified in the early twentieth century. The main doorway was, like the majority of the structure, refashioned by the Knights. The two-light windows on the first floor might have been made before 1530. A string-course consisting of two tiers of inverted triangles marks the division of the ground and the first floor. At roof level one can find a single serrated frieze of the same design.
The two-light windows represent the hallmarks of medieval architecture in Malta. They can also be found in Sicily. The Triq Santa Sofia in Mdina has a two-light window from the late fifteenth or early sixteenth century. It was decorated with end rosettes and has small consoles carrying the sill. A feature that is typical for Maltese architecture is the so-called “Melitan edge-moulding”, which serves as a softening device for hard angles of buildings and consists of a slender shaft with cushioning caps and bases, which are thrust into bold reliefs by shallow grooves on both sides. The problem with these windows is that due to considerable modifications their original design is often not visible anymore.